Job Summary: Performs as in-charge auditor on assigned field audits to examine the accounts, records and operations for multiple departments, programs and businesses of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma and assure compliance with established policies, procedures and sound business practices. Understands and tests current procedures and processes, compare to applicable standards and regulations, look for signs of fraud or theft, and issue reports with comments about areas that need improvements.
1. Conducts financial, compliance, and performance audits by examining accounting records, invoices, procedures, and other relevant information.
2. Creates adequate documentation of audit procedures performed.
3. Examines accounts, records and operations of assigned business units to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, grant rules, policies and procedures.
4. Determines the effectiveness of current systems — financial, internal control, compliance with laws and regulations, and fraud prevention.
5. Prepares and communicates audit findings, as necessary. Identifies corrective action to improve or resolve issues that are detected during the audit process; follows up on corrective action to ensure issues are resolved.
6. Protects confidentiality of all financial records and data.
7. Performs investigations and inquiries of possible theft or fraud.
8. Utilizes data mining techniques to identify questionable transactions.
9. Recommends procedures to improve effectiveness of the internal auditing function.
10. Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and governmental accounting principles
- Understanding of internal controls and adequate supporting documentation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Three years of experience in internal auditing or independent external auditing or high-level governmental accounting
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant accreditation
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, governmental accounting principles, and grant compliance auditing
- Understanding of adequate internal controls, adequate supporting documentation, fraud detection, and risk assessment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, along with problem solving and analytical skills
- Five years of experience in internal auditing or independent external auditing or high-level governmental accounting