Responsible for the complex analysis of policies, procedures, financial documents and contracts to ensure accuracy of expenditures, maximization of revenues, efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and compliance with federal, state and local regulations and laws. The Sr. Auditor may also train and lead auditors in the field.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and conduct audits in accordance with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards.
- Investigate fraud, waste and/or abuse (FWA) allegations reported directly or via the anonymous hotline.
- Assist with training lower level auditors in appropriate business procedures and internal controls. Promote cohesion among team members.
- Review work papers to ensure adequacy, relevance, reliability, and completeness to address audit objectives and support conclusions
- Verify City’s compliance with federal, state and local rules and regulations, as well as internal policies and guidelines.
- Conduct comprehensive risk assessments and develop audit program and process to determine timeline and resources.
- Identify and apply efficient practices in order to complete audits within the established timeline
- Perform comprehensive reviews of controls as it relates to the City’s acquisition processes.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of City’s system of internal controls and efficiency of operations.
- Review cost control procedures used for operating expenditures.
- Review the system of management controls in place to ensure that vendors and customers are in compliance with contracts.
- Provide report of findings and recommendations for corrective measures in areas needing improvement.
- Run reports from various City systems and perform data analysis using tools such as Excel, Access, IDEA, etc.
- May supervise lower level auditors.
- Four-year college degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or Information Systems
- 5 years related experience
- CIA, CPA or CISA certification or the ability to obtain within two years of hire
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- Master’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or Information Systems
- 5 years in auditing with at least 3 years of governmental or Information Technology auditing experience
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS)
- Comprehensive knowledge of municipal government
- Intermediate skill in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint)
- Willingness to go the extra mile to achieve departmental goals and objective
- Ability to promote mission, goals, policies, guiding principles and standards of City of Garland
- Ability to plan and organize workload in order to meet established deadlines
- Ability to understand strengths and weakness of team members and promote team spirit
- Ability to independently perform complex audit analysis
- Ability to analyze various financial and procedural information and documentation
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Licenses and Certifications
- CIA, CPA or CISA Certification or the ability to obtain within two years of hire
- Valid Class C Texas driver’s license