The Director of Audit Services is the Airport Board’s chief audit executive and leads the Audit Services Department in activities designed to mitigate risks and influence positive change throughout the organization. Oversees the activities of the Audit Services Department to assure compliance with established Airport Board contracts, policies and procedures. Manages and directs independent internal audits of Airport Board departments and external audits of Airport tenants, airlines, contractors and concessionaires.
An individual assigned to this class directs independent audits of Airport tenants, contractors and concessionaires and Airport Board departments. The work requires considerable expertise conducting and overseeing performance/operational and financial-related audits. Work is conducted independently within established Airport Board policies and procedures and professional auditing standards. An individual assigned to this class exercises initiative and judgment in developing methods and procedures and directing activities of the Audit staff. Performance is reviewed through conferences and reports.
This position reports to the Airport’s Board of Directors through the Board’s Finance/Audit Committee and ensures that the Department meets its responsibilities as described in the Board of Directors-approved Audit Charter. Directly supervises: Assistant Director, Audit Services and Audit Services Coordinator and leads a team of 13 professionals.
- Assesses risks and opportunities related to the Board’s business objectives; submits risk-based audit plans to the Board of Directors for its review and approval.
- Determines, plans and supervises the work of professionals and others in performing audits, ethics investigations and other reviews and analyses.
- Recommends to management specific process improvements and other actions to enhance the organization’s effectiveness, efficiency, compliance, accountability and safeguarding of assets; follows up on open recommendations; reports to the Board of Directors and executive staff the results of each audit and management’s response.
- Administers the Board’s Employee Ethics Line; together with the Board’s General Counsel and a management representative, determines how each allegation will be addressed; summarizes Ethics Line activity for Board of Directors and executive staff.
- Coordinates all solicitations for the Board’s external audits; reviews invoices and approves payments to external audit firms; coordinates work with external audit firms to lower audit costs and avoid duplicating efforts; facilitates communications between the external audit firms and the Board of Directors and executive staff.
- Meets with the Board of Directors, Board management staff, tenants, concessionaires and contractors to build and maintain productive working relationships and provide perspective and guidance.
- Ensures that the Audit Services Department implements and maintains appropriate policies, procedures, systems and quality control processes; ensures that the Department undergoes an external review of its internal quality control system at least once every three years.
- Mentors, supervises, reviews and furthers the professional development of a diverse Audit Services Department staff.
- Performs special projects as assigned.
- Directs the preparation of the Department’s budget requests and personnel actions and coordinates such requests with the Chief Executive Officer or his/her designee.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Accounting, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor required.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible, professional-level auditing experience.
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, procedures and techniques of accounting and auditing, including methods used to examine, verify and analyze financial and operational records, statements and reports.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis skills; ability to take large volumes of complex information and present it in a clear and concise manner.
- Strong strategic management, planning, change management, and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop relationships, facilitate negotiations and build partnerships with key stakeholders; ability to foster trust and maintain confidential information.
- Strong working knowledge of information technology and managing and controlling information systems.
- Strong innovation skills to implement new solutions and processes by leveraging available technology and data.
- Skilled in leading, developing and motivating a diverse professional staff.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization—as well as external parties—both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and explain complex legal provisions.
- Ability to develop appropriate audit policies, procedures, information systems and internal quality control systems.
- Ability to professionally represent the Audit Services Department and Board to external parties, including tenants, concessionaires and contractors that are audited.
- Ability to travel to other cities and states, which may require staying overnight.
- Possession of a valid Class C driver’s license.
- Works in an office environment
- Uses substantial reasoning in problem solving
- Uses near-visual acuity in reading written and electronic documents
- Performs complex mathematical and statistical calculations
- Communicates by telephone, electronic communication systems, in writing and in person
- Drives to location on and off Airport Property
To learn more about this opportunity or provide a confidential referral, please contact:
Lisa Thompson Stephen Konstans
Vice President SVP & Financial Officers Practice Leader
214-292-4134 Direct 214-292-4137 Direct