The Internal Controls Analyst will play a key role in the Company’s Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance program and the Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR). This role will perform control testing on behalf of management and report on the effectiveness of the organizations policies, procedures and resources. The Internal Controls Analyst will work with Management to increase the operating efficiency of the Company’s internal controls while ensuring compliance by management.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: (functions considered essential as defined by ADA)
- Perform testing of control design and the testing of control effectiveness for assigned areas on behalf of management
- Proactively identify, assess, manage, monitor, remediate, and report inconsistencies, redundancies, and control deficiencies through execution of the annual process
- Maintenance of SOX documentation including narratives, control library, and risk matrices
- Assist with the planning and execution of the annual SOX risk assessment process to support the SOX compliance plan.
- Prepare work papers and reporting documentation to support management’s ability to provide assurance of their internal control procedures.
- Act as a technical resource for management in the implementation of their controls providing guidance on the proper detective, preventive and corrective controls needed.
- Work with process owners to ensure policy and procedure documentation is current and updated as needed
- Assist with broader Accounting, Finance and GRC (governance, risk and compliance) initiatives as they surface.
Special assignments or tasks assigned to the employee by supervisor, as determined from time to time at their sole and complete discretion.
A minimum of three years of on the job experience is required.
Experience in internal audit, control testing, and data analytics is preferred.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, in accounting, finance or related field, is required.
PREFERRED EDUCATIONAL LEVEL:
A Master’s Degree and/or a CPA is preferred. CIA is a plus.
Strong knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Section 404, and COSO Internal Controls Framework, and Internal Controls over Financial Reporting. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products, specifically Microsoft Excel. Experience with large accounting and maintenance ERP software (SAP a plus). An understanding of accounting practices (U.S. GAAP) and procedures is required. Must have proficient reading and writing skills, the ability to perform intermediate to advanced mathematical calculations, analyze and review large batches of data, and the ability to effectively communicate with others, both written and verbally, across all levels of the organization. Proactive, responsive, takes ownership and accountability, drives processes, meets timelines and critical deadlines.
Office based with travel throughout the United States to the petroleum refinery by land and air occasionally. May be required to work flexible hours. Subject to all weather and varying road conditions.
Job conditions require sitting, standing, walking, sitting, talking or hearing, making visual inspections, making precise hand and finger movement, reaching or grasping, perceiving color differences, and ability to wear personal protective equipment (beards not permitted). Job conditions may require lifting and/or carrying up to 25 lbs.
ENVIRONMENTAL, HEALTH, & SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Our primary values at HollyFrontier are: We put health and safety first; we care about the environment. All HollyFrontier employees are expected to work safely every day and be safety & environmental leaders. This includes active participation in the following:
- Stops and/or reports any unsafe work or conditions
- Follows safety & environmental policies and procedures
- Supports safety & environmental goals and initiatives
- Participates in safety & environmental meetings, training, emergency drills and hazard recognition programs
- Reports all accidents, injuries and near misses, and participates in associated investigations
- Participates in industrial hygiene, medical surveillance and behavior based safety programs